The ACTIVELY COOLED C2 series CMOS cameras are equipped with SONY IMX GLOBAL SHUTTER CMOS detectors with 3.45 x 3.45 μm square pixels. All used sensors utilize global electronic shutter. This means every pixel within the image is exposed at the same time, as opposed to rolling shutter sensors, which exposes individual lines one after another.There is no difference for long exposures of static objects, but imaging of moving objects using short exposure time using rolling shutter leads to image shape distortions.
One of the benefits of the C2 series is the MECHANICAL SHUTTER function, so that you don’t have to close the telescope to be able to take darks. This is especially handy and important if you are running a remote controlled telescope.
C2 Camera Overview
C2 camera head is designed to be easily used with a set of accessories to fulfill various observing needs. Camera head itself is manufactured in two different variants:
- Camera with Internal filter wheel.
- Camera with control port for External filter wheel. This model allows attachment of several variants of external filter wheels with various number of filter positions and sizes.
- Filter wheel with 5 positions for unmounted D31 mm filters or filters in 1.25” threaded cells.
- Filter wheel with 6 positions for unmounted D27 mm (or 1”) filters.
C2 camera with Internal filter wheel (left) and with External filter wheel attached:
There are two sizes of the External filter wheels, each capable to accept multiple sizes of filters, available for the C2 cameras:
- Extra small “XS” size wheel for 8 unmounted filters D31 mm or filters in 1.25” threaded cells.
- Extra small “XS” size wheel for 7 unmounted filters D36 mm.
- Small “S” size wheel for 12 unmounted filters D31 mm or filters in 1.25” threaded cells.
- Small “S” size wheel for 10 unmounted filters D36 mm.
- Small “S” size wheel for 7 unmounted D50 mm or 2″ filter or filters in 2” threaded cells.
Please note the camera head is designed to either accept Internal filter wheel or to be able to connect to the External filter wheel, but not both. If the Internal filter wheel variant is used, External filter wheel cannot be attached.
Components of C2 Camera system include:
- C2 camera head with Internal Filter Wheel (5 or 6 positions)
- C2 camera head capable to control External Filter Wheel
- External Filter Wheel “XS” size (7 or 8 positions)
- External Filter Wheel “S” size (10 or 12 positions)
- C1 guider camera
C1 cameras are completely independent devices with their own USB connection to the host PC. They can be used either on C2 OAG or on standalone guiding telescope.
C1 cameras can share the Moravian Camera Ethernet Adapter with up to 3 other Cx cameras to be accessed over TCP/IP network.
- Off-Axis Guider with M48 × 0.75 thread
- Off-Axis Guider with M42 × 0.75 thread (T2)
- Thick adapter base, compensating EFW thickness to achieve proper back focal distance for cameras without filter wheel
- 1.75” dovetail rail for G2 camera head
- Gx Camera Ethernet Adapter (x86 CPU)
- Gx Camera Ethernet Adapter (ARM CPU)
Moravian Camera Ethernet Adapter allows connection of up to 4 Cx cameras of any type on the one side and 1 Gbps Ethernet on the other side. This adapter allows access to connected Cx cameras using routable TCP/IP protocol over unlimited distance.
- 5-positions internal filter wheel for 1.25”/D31 mm filters
- 6-positions internal filter wheel for 1”/D27 mm filters
- 8-positions external filter wheel “XS” for 1.25”/D31 mm filters
- 7-positions external filter wheel “XS” for D36 mm filters
- 12-positions external filter wheel “S” for 1.25”/D31 mm filters
- 10-positions external filter wheel “S” for D36 mm filters
- 7-positions external filter wheel “S” for 2”/D50 mm filters
- M42 × 0.75 (T-thread) or M48 × 0.75 threaded adapters, 55 mm BFD
Other standard adapters are available, for instance threaded 2″ barrel adapter etc.
- Canon EOS bayonet lens adapter
- Nikon bayonet lens adapter
C2 camera models are equipped with Sony IMX global shutter CMOS detectors with 3.45 × 3.45 μm square pixels. Individual models differ in resolution only.
All used sensors utilize global electronic shutter. This means every pixel within the image is exposed in the same time, as opposed to rolling shutter sensors, which exposes individual lines one after another. There is no difference for long exposures of static objects, but imaging of moving objects using short exposure time using rolling shutter leads to image shape distortions.
Two lines of C2 cameras are available depending on the available dynamic range (bit-depth of the digitized pixels).