This is the astroimaging camera that you have been waiting for !
Note – This is the PH model, not the lower spec Lite model
QHY’s QHY600 CMOS Photographic camera is a full frame astrophotography camera with extremely low dark and read noise that amateur astrophotographers will love! The camera utilizes the 36mm x 24mm Sony IMX455 back-illuminated, full frame sensor with 3.76um pixels. A back-illuminated CMOS structure gives this camera improved full well capacity. When unbinned, the camera has a full well capacity of more than 51ke-. When binned 2×2 to 7.5um, the camera’s full well is 196ke-. Additionally, when binned 3×3 to 11um, the full well is 441ke-. QHY268C and QHY600 Cameras Announced at AIC 2019
Not only does this camera already have an impressive 51ke- full well capacity, but QHY has implemented a way to achieve a higher full well capacity with user controlled read modes. There is extended full well readout mode, meaning the QHY600 can achieve a greater full well of more than 80ke-. This gives a better dynamic range and large variations in magnitude of brightness are less likely to saturate. There are three readout modes, each with their own characteristics
2GB Image Buffer : The QHY600 comes with a 2GB DDR3 image buffer for smooth, uninterrupted, and high-speed data transfer.
USB3.0 : QHY’s design allows the camera to support USB3.0 high speed interface.
QHY’s incorporated USB re-connection feature means that this camera’s computer connection can be connected and disconnected by turning the 12V power supply on and off. This means you do not have to worry about plugging and unplugging the USB cable, enhancing user control when working from a remote station. All you have to do is control the 12V power supply to control the remote USB connection.
Application : This camera is great for astro-imaging, all sky meteor monitoring, microscopy, fluorescence imaging, high throughput DNA sequencing, aerial photogrammetry.
Electric Shutter : Equipped with an electronic rolling shutter, the camera utilizes Sony’s Exmor BSI CMOS technology and electric shutter. This type of shutter is more reliable than a mechanical shutter and more stable when the astrophotographer takes a large number of exposures.
Round Body Design : The round camera design of this camera makes it ideal for the new generation of RASA telescopes because it can match the image field.
Native 16-bit A/D : The native 16-bit A/D on-chip of this camera has an output of 65536 levels. This means that the camera gives a higher resolution and a system gain that is less than 1e-/ADU. QHY’s 600 series camera has no sample error noise and very low read noise.
Low Read Noise : The QHY600 has only one electron of read noise, meaning the camera can achieve an SNR>3 at only four to six photons. You can use this camera for short exposures, narrow band imaging, sky surveys, time domain astronomy, fluorescence imaging, DNA sequencing, and microscopy! QHY has added an innovative suppression technology that can reduce the level of random noise such as the the type of thermal noise that is generated by back-illuminated CMOS sensors and has a value not related to the exposure time.
The high pixel count of this CMOS camera means that the memory requirements for temporary and permanent storage is greater. The QHY600 sensor produces about 120MB of data per frame. Additionally, the data band-width is increases from 16-bits to 32-bits. To sufficiently meet the memory needs, the QHY600 comes with large-capacity memory of up to 1GB.
- Image Sensor: SONY Full Frame BSI CMOS Sensor IMX455ALK-K
- Pixel Size: 3.76um x 3.76um
- Sensor Surface Glass: AR+AR Multi-Coated
- Sensor Type: Back-Illuminated (BSI)
- Effective Pixels: 61.17 Megapixels
- Pixel Array: 9576×6388
- Effective Image Area: 36mm x 24mm
- Full Well Capacity: Standard Mode >51ke- / >204ke- / >408ke-, Extend Full Well Mode >80ke- / >320ke- / >720ke-
- A/D: 16-bit (0-65535 levels) at 1X1 binning, 18-bit at 2X2, 19-bit at 3X3, 20-bit at 4X4 software binning
- Sensor Size: Full Frame Format
- Frame Rate: Full Frame Size: 4.0FPS (8-bit output), Full Frame Size: 2.5FPS (16-bit output), 7.2FPS at 9600×3194, 22.5FPS at 9600×1080, 28FPS at 9600×768, 47FPS at 9600×480, 160FPS at 9600×100
- Read Noise: 1.0e- to 3.7e- (Standard Mode)
- Dark Current: 0.0032e-/p/s @ -20C 0.0056e-/p/s @ -10C
- Peak QE: >87%
- Exposure Time Range: 40us – 3600sec
- Firmware/FPGA Remote Upgrade: Supported. Via Camera USB Port
- Shutter Type: Electric Rolling Shutter
- Computer Interface: USB3.0
- Hardware Frame Sequence Number: Supported
- Built-in Image Buffer: 1GBytes（8Gbit）/ 2GBytes（16Gbit）DDR3 memory
- Memory: Built-in 64MByte Flash Memory
- Cooling: Dual Stage TEC cooler (Long exposure is typically -35C below ambient, Short exposure high FPS is typically -30C below ambient)
- Anti-Dew Heater: Yes
- Telescope Interface: M54/0.75
- Optic Window Type: AR+AR High Quality Multi-Layer Anti-Reflection Coating
- Power: 40W/100%, 20W/50%, 13.8W/0%
- Back Focal Length: 17.5mm (±0.2)
- Weight: 915g (2.0172 lb.)
Important Firmware Statement from QHY: QHY600 Photographic & Early Bird cameras that were produced between 2020.5 and 2020.7 were shipped with a version of FPGA firmware that may cause CFW detection failures when the camera and filter wheel combo is used with some software packages. A FPGA firmware update will correct the issue. The above link will take you to a page with more information, instructions and the download.